USEFUL LINKS FOR CLIMBING CYCLISTS
As we are a purely voluntary body run for the benefit of Members,
our links aim to give accurate and useful information with a minimum of
commercial sites. Most of the links are chosen for their pictures so that you
can judge for yourself if you want to cycle in an area. The few commercial sites are
either run by Members of our Club or provide pictures to meet our main aim (or, better
still do both!). If you would like to recommend a link which meets our aims
then we will be pleased to hear from you.
- Rough-Stuff Fellowship - for off-road riding in the UK, Alps, Pyrenees, Picos and Massif Central.
- Audax UK - the Long Distance Cyclists' Association in the UK.
- Cyclists Touring Club - THE National Cycle Tourists' Association in the UK with extensive information on worldwide riding.
Exmoor (S W England)
EUROPEAN - OUTSIDE UK
General Sources on Europe
- Trento Bike Pages, country by country, a huge resource for touring in Europe - has a real wealth of material and further links
- B.I.G., Listings of cols and
a few pictures for much of Europe
Alps/Dolomites (Austria, France, Italy, Switzerland)
- List of Belgian cols by the B.I.G. Club in Belgium. There are more passes than you might imagine with quite a few at over 500m
Canary Islands (Spain)
France (See also "Alps", "Corsica", "Jura", "Massif Central" and "Pyrenees")
Germany - Black Forest
Jura (Mountains in France and Switzerland)
Massif Central (France)
Pyrenees (France and Spain)
- Martin Turcan wrote to us early in April 2001 to inform us about a historical
through route in Slovakia. It is on the Map for
Vernar-Besnik-Cuntava-Dobsina. The road is steep and relatively high.
For profile diagram and more details
of the area (in Slovak). It was the old route for post wagons like the Via Tremola on the
Gotthardpass, with a Post Inn in Cuntava, now a ruin. It is not paved on southern side and road
conditions vary from year to year depending on investments and the workload of the forest company
- Also notified by Martin, there are a few pictures of
Krahola if you follow the links shown on the page (in Slovak)
Spain - also see "Majorca" and "Pyrenees" above and "Tenerife/Canary Islands" below
Switzerland - see "Alps" and "Jura" above
Tenerife (Canary Islands)
REST OF THE WORLD
India - Himalayan foothills
- Good pictures of hilly areas from part of a world tour
- In August and September of 2001, the four of us cycled the Manali-Leh Highway, Ladakh, in the Himalayan mountains of northern India. We met quite a few cyclists
on our trip, yet found information helpful in planning the trip to be hard to find, or even inaccurate. This website aims to "fill the gap" on information on this most wonderful of journeys, and hopefully provide a bit of entertainment at the same time. Includes a brief on Ladakh, the route, excursions(!), a travelogue, bikes & equipment and medical considerations
- Martin Hilbers - CTC tour in 2003
- 1997 tour
Pakistan (mainly Karakoram Highway)
Other Sites of General Interest by OCD Members
Back to OCD Cycloclimbing's Home Page
Copyright OCD Cycloclimbing.